June 13, 2010

Where Are Your Manners?

I have a quick post to make about something that has really been bothering me. Maybe it is slightly related to style. I recently have been branching out in what I wear in an attempt to accept my body and love it for what it can do and not solely for how it looks. We all have something we don't like.

Anyway, I don't understand why certain people (let's face it, MEN) feel the need to stare and objectify you as you're walking down the street in a dress or a skirt. Whenever a girl wears a pair of jeans, you never get a second glance. As soon as there is some leg (whether it's covered with a tight or not) guys lear... It really pisses me of. Then you get ridiculous judgments like these which allow guys to get away with sexually assaulting you because of what you were wearing. A girl can't possibly be raped in skinny jeans because they are so tight that you need TWO people to get them on and off. I for one always need help in putting them on and taking them off. It makes it difficult to go to the bathroom alone and have some privacy. (For anyone who didn't understand that last bit, it was sarcasm.)

If I decide to wear a miniskirt or tight jeans, I am in NO WAY encouraging a man to do anything, be it learing or raping. Just because I want to show some skin (in a tasteful way of course), it doesn't give anyone the right to assume that I'm in the mood to have sex with the first thing that walks by. The sexualization of clothing has been around for ever and I understand that, but unless you're in a setting that is explicitely promoting intimate encounters, we shouldn't be afraid to wear what we want while waiting for the bus on a Sunday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment